Job Spotlight: Executive Assistant, EarthEnable (Rwanda)
At EarthEnable, we believe that our clients deserve our very best, that morning high-fives are the best way to start the day, and that the best ideas could come from any part of the company. We celebrate each other’s wins, learn from our setbacks, and are deeply proud of the impact we make every day. We believe that a clean, dust-free floor means more than living in a healthy home. It means pride and dignity in the place our customers most treasure: their homes. Being a part of our team means more than building floors: it means building an organization and building a better future for rural families.
What We Do
EarthEnable is transforming the way people live, by making homes healthier for families across rural Rwanda. 80% of Rwandans live in homes with dirt floors which are dusty, unsanitary, and fertile breeding grounds for parasites and germs. While replacing a dirt floor with concrete has significant health benefits (e.g. reducing diarrhea by 50% and parasitic infections by 80%), concrete is unaffordable for many who need it.
EarthEnable addresses this pressing and ubiquitous problem by selling high-quality, earthen floors that are 80% cheaper than concrete with 90% less embedded energy. Earthen floors are already prevalent in modern homes in the United States and are composed of natural materials (gravel, clay, sand, and laterite). EarthEnable trains and hires local masons to install the floors which are sealed using a proprietary drying oil that makes them waterproof, strong, and polished. In our first 3 years of operations, EarthEnable has installed over 400,000 square feet of flooring and employed over 100 Rwandese staff (and generated jobs and income for an additional 100 masons).
- Job Function: Admin / Clerical / Executive Assistant
- Work Authorisation: Rwandan Citizens
- Job Level: Entry Level
- Years of Experience: 1-2 years
- Languages: English, Kinyarwanda
- Top Skills
- Telephone Skills
- Computer Literacy / Internet
- Writing / Email Correspondence
- MS Excel / Spreadsheets
- Office Administration / Scheduling
This job is for someone who wants to be learn about and be exposed to all aspects of running a business, who prides himself or herself in being a self-starter, quick learner, and hard worker, who is ready to do both desk work and field work, and who can switch between tasks seamlessly. The person who is hired for this role will work closely with the company’s founders and senior leadership on a variety of executive tasks. He or she will be exposed to every part of EarthEnable’s operations, and therefore learn about entrepreneurship, operational management, marketing, and even research and development. We are looking for someone eager to learn and able to multitask and switch between a variety of tasks. We expect the person filling this role to be very detail oriented, a quick learner, committed to excellence, and willing to keep sensitive information completely confidential. The executive leadership will provide significant coaching, guidance, and support, but we expect the person to be a self-starter who can learn to “manage up”.
- Strategy: Identifying potential partners through desk research and interviews, conducting surveys and interviews in the field regarding new products (waterproof walls, different product bundling, etc.)
- Organization and planning: Coordinating travel and meetings for senior managers
- Marketing: Conducting market research for our customers, helping out with setup and cleanup at marketing events
- Human resources: Screening resumes, scheduling interviews, managing pre-hire examinations
- Monitoring and Evaluation: Visiting clients to assess the quality of the floor, cleaning data for health impact evaluation, supporting the development of a “dashboard” to compile data
- Office assistance: Taking meeting minutes, working with the Administrative Assistant on office procurement
- Research and Development: Analyzing samples of varnish, diligently recording metrics
- Social media: Writing and scheduling posts, monitoring activity on our social media accounts and keeping an organized database of photos
Skills and Qualifications
- Demonstrated ability to work harmoniously with a cross-functional team of category managers, marketing professionals, design teams and others to create a world-class customer experience
- Sales mentality and proactive thinker who can translate corporate product management strategy into an online experience
- Ability to prioritize work, understand and follow processes, and utilize available resources.
- Ability to understand commercial/campaign requests and translate to design briefs
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple campaigns/projects, including prioritization, planning and execution
- Strong and organizational skills with strong attention to detail and accuracy • Proficiency and good working knowledge of CSS, HTML, Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) is a plus
- Ability to multi-task and re prioritize in a dynamic environment
- Strong problem solving and decision making skills; as well as ability to work and deliver under pressure, and within tight deadlines
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Must possess eCommerce and business acumen