Job Spotlight: Supply Chain Associate, Sustainable Health Enterprises – SHE (Rwanda)
SHE is an award-winning social enterprise, with our first business operating in Rwanda. Our goal for SHE Rwanda is to increase access for at least 250,000 girls to affordable sanitary pads. We’re doing that by using an innovative manufacturing process that sources banana fiber from local banana-fiber co-operatives. We equip and train farmers with the tools they need to provide us high-quality banana fiber, thereby increasing the profit they earn from their farm.
SHE in Rwanda is rapidly scaling, and our revenue is incrementally growing as we meet customer demand for affordable sanitary pads. SHE in Rwanda is a for-profit business with a social mission of local sourcing of banana fiber, job creation, affordable products, and access to essential menstrual health education at the school level. We are proud to have received recognition for our work from Echoing Green, The Tech Museum, Curry Stone Design Prize, among others.
- Job Function: Purchasing / Supply / Procurement
- Work Authorisation: Rwandan Citizens
- Job Level: Mid-Career
- Years of Experience: 3-5 years
- Languages: English, Kinyarwanda
- Top Skills
- Operations / Logistics
- Persuasion / Negotiation
- Organizing / Planning / Project Management
- MS Excel / Spreadsheets
- Supply Chain / Warehousing
SHE locally purchases 200 kilograms per months of banana fiber from co-operatives (currently in Eastern Province) and imports materials from across the world to produce and sell disposable sanitary pads within Rwanda. SHE in Rwanda will be scaling significantly in the coming years. Sustainable and affordable access to banana fiber and pad materials is critical to ensure that we both generate income for our local farmers and also continue to provide an affordable, quality product to our consumers. We are looking for someone to strengthen our Rwanda supply chain systems to ensure we receive all our materials on time and at the right price. Supply chain covers planning, purchasing, metrics and KPIs, distribution and logistics, and warehousing. You will improve our current fiber delivery and storage systems for our farmers while preparing our purchasing and quality assurance systems to scale in the coming years. This position will be based in Ngoma District and will require extensive travel (50% of the time) to visit with our farmers and production team in Eastern Province and business team in Kigali. Reporting to the Rwanda Head of Business Operations, this role is critical in effectively liaising with suppliers, the Production Manager and team, and external stakeholders including government officials.
Job Location: Ngoma district
The Supply Chain Associate’s responsibilities will be:
Fiber and Materials Requirements:
- Locate and select potential banana plantation cooperatives to supply SHE with banana fibers.
- Maintain relationships with existing coops, and develop MOUs with new coops.
- Work with marketing, production, and other teams to determine their procurement needs.
- Ensure compliance with government regulations on import and export processes for our pad and packaging materials.
- Ensure consistent, predictable quality of fiber and implement quality assurance (banana fiber quality, storage, dryness, transportation and environmental policies) based on our quality requirements.
- Identify appropriate vendors for solicitation.
- Circulate solicitation documents and collect quotes from suppliers.
- Compile vendor questions, liaise with end users for all answers and communicate back to vendors.
Evaluate price and quality:
- Map out current supply chain practices to identify and implement cost- and time-saving improvements to reduce overall spend.
- Implement standardized practices to improve efficiency, effectiveness, and customer service.
- Ensure that suppliers meet production targets, deliveries are made on time, and transport is arranged.
- Negotiate prices and payment terms with suppliers.
- Design and implement plant warehousing strategies for fibers.
Manage delivery and post-purchase service:
- Ensure accurate and timely delivery of products and services.
- Coordinate the inspection/acceptance process between end-user and vendor.
- Manage all after-sale issues: Maintain comprehensive documentation of ALL stages of the procurement process.
Skills and Qualifications
- Work experience in a demanding professional environment, especially one that requires cross-cultural communications
- Hold a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (business, agribusiness, logistics, or a quantitative field)
- 2-5 years work experience and significant project or team management experience, ideally in a similar role in supply chain management and logistics
- Proven success in leading negotiation and supply chain management
- Willingness to travel extensively across Rwanda (specifically the Eastern province)
- A strong understanding of the local business context especially as pertains to agriculture
- Outstanding communication skills with peers and management and with government stakeholders and high level officials
- Fluency in English and Kinyarwanda (oral and written)
- A desire to make a positive impact through your work, and interest in social enterprise.
- A passion for the mission, vision, and values of SHE.
Preferred Skills and Qualities:
- Experience in import/export procedures preferred
- Demonstrated experience working with co-operatives
- Strong MS Office experience, particularly using Excel • Curiosity and resourcefulness
- Must be a Rwandan citizen or an EAC citizen with authorization to work in Rwanda
Criteria for Selection:
The following matrix will be used to evaluate candidates for this position: Experience 40% Candidate must be of mature character with minimum 3 years working in a project management role . Skills 40% Must be competent in project management, logistics, and negotiation Education 20% Bachelors degree required, business, agribusiness, management, logistics, or another related quantitative degree preferred
Already a member?
Log in with your account and apply through our job board. Any questions? Please contact your Talent Advocate.