Job Spotlight: National Business Development Manager, Sustainable Health Enterprises (Rwanda)
SHE is an award-winning social enterprise, with our first business operating in Rwanda. Our goal for SHE Rwanda is to increase access for at least 250,000 girls to affordable sanitary pads. We’re doing that by using an innovative manufacturing process that sources banana fiber from local banana-fiber co-operatives. We then use that banana fiber to make and produce affordable disposable sanitary pads (they are at least 30% more affordable than comparable imported brands). Our pads, branded as go!, are sold to schools and NGOs, and also directly to undeserved consumers across Rwanda, primarily in the Eastern Province.
SHE in Rwanda is rapidly scaling, and our revenue is incrementally growing as we meet customer demand for affordable sanitary pads. SHE in Rwanda is a for-profit business with a social mission of local sourcing of banana fiber, job creation, affordable products, and access to essential menstrual health education at the school level. Our social venture has been recognized by New Times Rwanda and Rwanda TV. We are proud to have received global recognition for our work from Echoing Green, The Tech Museum, Curry Stone Design Prize, among others.
NATIONAL BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT MANAGER
- Job Function: Sales / Marketing
- Work Authorisation: Rwandan Citizens
- Job Level: Mid-Career
- Years of Experience: 3-5 years
- Languages: English, Kinyarwanda
The National Business Development Manager will manage SHE’s growing sales network and oversee our large-scale national expansion. The ideal candidate will have a track record in sales in the private sector in East Africa, ideally in consumer goods. The position will be based in Kigali, with extensive travel (50% of the time) across the country. This is your chance to join and shape a successful, fast growing, national organization at a time of huge opportunity for professional growth. Reporting to the Head of Business Operations in Rwanda, the Business Development Manager will be a key contributor to meet SHE’s 2017 sales targets and beyond. Job Summary and Key Priorities We’re seeking an experienced and entrepreneurial Business Development Manager to work directly with our school and NGO customers, kiosk owners, and individual consumers. The Business Development Manager will build a sales team to drive growth in our sales and corresponding social impact. The right candidate will have experience designing tools and systems to build efficient and high performance sales team(s). This person will be an exceptional implementer & will drive sales through identifying successful pilots and innovations and integrating them into existing operations. Most of what we do has never been done before. That means there’s nowhere to look for guidance. You need to be ok with that to be successful in this job. You also need to be a very strong project manager. You need to be good with launching new projects and developing and managing teams. You need to be comfortable with uncertainty, agile and a problem-solver. You need to be independent, solution-oriented and very comfortable with taking decisions. You will also be working with a variety of customers (schools, NGOs, etc.) and stakeholders (government officials, kiosk owners, etc.) and you will need to do that without compromising the customer experience.
The National Business Development Manager’s responsibilities will be to:
- Build and manage SHE’s sales strategy and performance across Rwanda, including developing and implementing a direct sales strategy to girls and women.
- Identify new opportunities and build existing partnerships with distribution partners (schools, NGOs, kiosks, etc) – to meet ambitious sales and financial targets and convert new distribution partners.
- Recruit, develop, incentive and oversee a sales team across Rwanda.
- Collaborate closely with District and sector officials to drive sales in new districts and sectors.
- Collaborate closely with Marketing and Research Associate and sales team to innovate new distribution and promotion efforts.
- Develop the pricing strategy per customer and incorporate the element of training and awareness programs for school and NGO bulk buyers.
- Develop an annual estimated budget for SHE business development activities.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- 3-5 years experience with exceptional track record of exceeding sales targets and building partnerships
- Private sector retail experience in Rwanda and East Africa – understands both peri-urban and rural customer bases
- Experience managing a sales team or field force.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and drive for results.
- Exceptional natural teacher, strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills in English and Kinyarwanda.
- A bachelor’s degree in Business Management/Administration or a related field.
- Rwandan nationals and EAC nationals authorized to work in Rwanda only. Willingness to travel across the country as needed.
- A passion for the mission, vision, and values of SHE. Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Superior customer focus and relationship management
- Experience in early stage organizations, establishing teams and processes
- Action oriented – resourceful, able to take the initiative and manage multi-priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent attention to detail and project management skills.
- Confident working independently as well as collaborating with a wider team.
- Proficient using Microsoft Office –especially Excel
- A desire to make a positive impact through your work, and interest in social enterprise
- Experience in pitching, presenting and negotiating – such as presenting to large groups of consumers, preparing and running product training sessions, negotiating partnership terms and handling objections.
Criteria for Selection The following matrix will be used to evaluate candidates for this position:
- Experience 40% Candidate must be of mature character with minimum 3 years designing and executing sales and growth operations strategy.
- Skills 40% Strong analytical, presentation, and communication skills.
- Skills in recruitment, training and team building.
- Education 20% Bachelors degree required, business degree preferred, must be fluent in English and Kinyarwanda
- Preferred Start Date ASAP Compensation Competitive with similar social enterprises. This is a role with performance-based raises and the ability to increase in responsibilities over time.