Job Spotlight: Export Manager, Kigali Farms (Rwanda)
Kigali Farms is a social for-profit enterprise that produces and sells mushrooms. Exports are a major revenue stream and form an essential part of the organization. The company operates a large-scale production facility in Musanze and has a head-office in Kigali. The Export Manager would principally be located in Kigali, however, some travel will be included.
- Job Function: Business Development / Partnerships
- Work Authorisation: All Nationalities
- Job Level: Mid-Career
- Years of Experience: 3-5 years
- Languages: English, Swahili
- Top Skills
- Customer Service
- Sales / Marketing
- Persuasion / Negotiation
- Data Analysis / M & E
- MS Excel / Spreadsheets
Kigali Farms is looking for someone to manage, coordinate, and expand its export activities. The Export Manager reports directly to the CEO and advices him on the strategy, priorities, and set-up of the company’s export activities.
Activities of the Export Manager include (but are not limited to):
- Coordinate and collaborate with Kigali Farms’ partners, both within and outside Rwanda (Uganda, Kenya, DRC, …). These partners include distributors, sales agencies, transport providers, and export agents.
- Manage the relationships with key customers (hotels, restaurants, supermarkets) outside Rwanda, ensuring high-quality mushroom products and service.
- Build and own market intelligence on both current and future foreign markets; creating insights on customer landscapes, price points, quality standards, etc.
- Be the expert and go-to person on required export documentation and certificates.
- Pursue business development of potential new markets, assessing customer demand and local competition, searching for potential partners, and setting up logistics.
- Develop a repeatable model to structure and document the steps of entering a new market, to apply when a new market entry is planned.
Skills and Qualifications
- Has a bachelor’s degree in (international) business, economics, or a similar field.
- Has a minimum of 2-3 years of relevant working experience.
- Has a background in food or agriculture (not strictly required).
- Is passionate about being part of a social enterprise.
- Likes to work in a small, fast-growing organization with a winning attitude.
- Enjoys creating high organizational impact. (This position will be responsible for a large part of Kigali Farms’ revenues.)
- Is able to work independently
- Has a willingness to travel abroad.
- Has an open mind and enjoys working in different cultures.
- Is fun to work with and proves to be flexible when required.
The selected person will be offered a full-time, 1-year contract, renewable. Compensation will depend on work experience but will be competitive with market standards.