Job Spotlight: Country Director, MeshPower (Rwanda)
MeshPower is an exciting startup that develops and implements innovative solutions to provide rural electrification. We provide affordable, renewable, 24-hour electricity through our solar-powered nanogrids to village-sized communities without access to the national grid.
Originally started in London by a team of electrical engineers, the Rwanda subsidiary now employs 25+ people and has over 2,000 customers, with plans to grow very quickly. MeshPower is a fast-moving, rapidly changing company, characterised by a high degree of personal responsibility, quick decision-making, and a dynamic and innovative business environment. Please see our website for further information: meshpower.co.rw.
- Job Function: General Management/ Strategy
- Work Authorisation: All Nationalities
- Job Level: Executive
- Years of Experience: 6-10 years
- Languages: English, Kinyarwanda
We are looking for an experienced and driven individual to lead our growing team in Rwanda. The Country Director will be responsible for MeshPower in Rwanda and will report directly to the CEO in London. S/he will lead the teams covering sales & marketing, field operations, technical & maintenance, customer service, finance & administration, and production & repairs. Most importantly, he or she will be hiring to grow these teams substantially.
- Delivery of MP Rwanda business targets, notably annual revenue and sales targets, reporting these to the board
- Manage MP Rwanda staff, working with the leadership team to create, manage and monitor team structures as well overseeing their training and continuous workplace learning
- Oversee the development of regional offices in Rwanda and manage the logistics, staffing and communications policies to make these work effectively
- Head external relations in Rwanda, working with all stakeholder groups, notably government, NGOs, the investor community and other industry players
- Work with senior management team in London, providing regular feedback and interaction and helping to co-ordinate the efforts of the different offices
- Co-ordinate with the head office in London for all technical, commercial, production and legal assistance
- Constantly investigate new business opportunities and new products, working with the technical and product team to make sure MeshPower’s offering is the best in the market
- Oversee and be responsible for MP Rwanda’s finances; the preparation and delivery of accounts, budgets and financial reports
Skills and Qualifications
- Five or more years’ experience with proven success in a similar role in Rwanda, or comparable African market
- Entrepreneurial and excited about the opportunity to creatively build a dynamic, non-traditional business in a nascent industry
- Passionate about the social impact that MeshPower delivers, bringing innovative, clean, renewable and affordable electricity to rural African markets
- Comfortable working independently and remotely in a lean environment
- Likes getting hands dirty trying work out to how to grow a high-potential business
- A natural people-person, that has experience and a track record leading others
- Willing to spend up to 40% of his/her time in the field interacting with staff, agents and customers
- Fluent in both verbal and written English and Kinyarwanda
- High competency with word processing and spreadsheet programs.
- University graduate, preferably with a business, finance or accounting degree.
- Experience implementing and managing projects, especially ones with logistical challenges
MindSky is currently sourcing candidates for all roles. To apply, fill out our online application. Under referral code, please enter “Country Director MeshPower”.
Already a member?
Log in with your account and apply through our job board. Any questions? Please contact your Talent Advocate.