Job Spotlight: Admissions Coordinator, Akilah Institute (Rwanda)
The Akilah Institute is Rwanda’s only women’s college. It offers a unique model of market-relevant education that prepares women to launch successful careers in the fastest-growing sectors of the economy. Since 2010, Akilah’s diploma programs have equipped hundreds of women with the academic, professional, and leadership skills necessary to start their careers and advance rapidly into management roles.
- Job Function: Data Analysis / M & E
- Work Authorisation: Rwandan Citizens
- Job Level: Mid-Career
- Years of Experience: 3-5 years
- Languages: English, Kinyarwanda
- Compensation: RWF 600,000 p/m
- Top Skills
- Operations / Logistics
- Computer Literacy / Internet
- Databases / CRM
- Data Analysis / M & E
- Organizing / Planning / Project Management
The Admissions Manager will play the instrumental role of working with the Recruitment & Admissions Team to ensure that Akilah’s Admissions application process is well developed and implemented robustly in order to process a high volume of applicants. The ideal candidate will have significant experience in project management, have fine attention to detail and be a capable and results-oriented manager. The AC should be a technology savvy professional with the ability to apply data management systems that will make the Admissions application process as efficient as possible.
Working conditions : Position is based in Kigali, Rwanda. Must be able to travel both domestically and internationally if required.
Reports to : Deputy Director of Recruitment & Admissions.
Application form development and admissions technology
- Responsible for the planning, development and implementation of Akilah’s Admissions application process with support from relevant Akilah staff members (R & A Deputy Director, M&E Specialist, Communications Team, Academics).
- Oversee the implementation of technology tools and social media including E-Application, Facebook, Kindles etc to streamline Admissions.
Admissions processes, systems and procedures
- Adhere strictly to GoR standard admissions requirements for Higher Education.
- Responsible for communicating all necessary information about application requirements to applicants and internal staff members, and for serving as permanent liaison to applicants throughout the admissions process. Refine and implement departmental procedure for receiving applicants, parents, and other community members inquiring about Akilah’s Admissions process.
- Coordinate and manage all communications with prospective students throughout the entire admissions cycle from application, assessment, acceptance to enrollment, while keeping in mind targets and acceptance criteria.
- Coordinate and lead Accepted Student Contract Meetings.
- Enforce and track payment deadlines for accepted students in partnership with colleagues while closely monitoring admissions targets.
- Lead the process of transferring new student files to Academics once enrollment has concluded.
Assessments & Applications
- Manage the implementation of all admissions assessments including timeline, logistics, procedures, training of other staff, attendance and data entry.
- Act as the primary point of contact and coordinator for the grading process of admissions exams.
- Coordinate and run interview training sessions for interviewers who will take part in conducting admissions interviews from relevant internal departments;
- Ensure that all assessment scores are accurately entered in the Master Database in a timely and consistent way.
- Ensure that all applicant files have been effectively uploaded and accounted for in the Admissions electronic filing system, ensuring easy tracking of all applicants’ data.
Admissions Best Practices
- Work in collaboration with the R & A Deputy Director to update the admissions procedure manual.
- Build partnerships with Admissions Managers in like-minded Universities to continue understanding best practices and areas for development at Akilah.
- Oversee special projects that will improve the admissions selection process.
- Report regularly to the R & A Deputy Director regarding # of inquiries, applicants and accepted/unaccepted applicants on a weekly basis.
- Report monthly to the R & A Deputy Director regarding department related expenses, with proper receipts and documentation.
- Collaborate with the Recruitment Coordinator on strategic R & A events like upcountry visits, Diploma Program Campaigns and Community Info-sessions.
Communications and Marketing
- PR/Media: Contribute content to print and online marketing products promoting Akilah.
- External: Attend relevant meetings and conferences to represent Akilah.
- Internal: Lead internal communications and updates regarding admissions processes and results, to maximize efficiency and institutional support.
Interns and volunteers
- Recruit and manage interns as necessary
Skills and Qualifications
CHARACTERISTICS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Achievement oriented, comfort operating in a fast-paced environment with accountability to results.
- High attention to detail and ability to effectively and efficiently manage large volumes of data.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills, strong knowledge of Information Systems and excellent handling.
- Has some understanding of the Rwandan Education System and Admissions processes.
- Ability to model Akilah’s core principles.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution required; relevant advanced degree preferred.
- 3+ years of relevant experience in project management, admissions, information systems, data management, or business systems. Private, public, and non-profit backgrounds are all valued. The ideal candidate will have succeeded in a high-performing organization and be eager to apply best practices.